This will be a busy week for the Wyoming Cowboys (1-0) who play three games this week. The first pairing is with the Northern Colorado Bears (1-0). Last year these two teams met and the Pokes came out on top 76-70. The Bears went on to win 25 games last year and return three starters from last year.
There is a new captain at the helm for UNC. B.J. Hill took over as head coach of the Bears after Tad Boyle left for the vacancy at Colorado. Hill was an assistant coach under Boyle so he is very familiar with the players and the system. The Bears love to run the floor and drain the three pointers whenever possible.
Devon Beitzel is the big threat to watch for on UNC. Last year he averaged nearly twelve points a game and shot 44% on three pointers last year. Taylor Montgomery provides a nice presence inside to balance out the outside shooting. The Bears won their opener easily over Tabor 93-52.
For Wyoming it will be important to see they play against an actual Division 1 opponent. The first games they've looked great but the competition has been sub par. A win on the road would be a great way to start this challenging section of games coming up over the next two weeks.
Here are a few things to look out for tonight:
- How much more can Afam Muojeke do? He looked great in the opener and hit four treys. Will Schroyer let him get any more minutes or do they rest the knee more.
- Will Adam Waddell see his first minutes of the year? The big man has been dealing with an ankle issue for a few weeks now.
- Can the defense stop an opponent that actually knows how to score? Look for a high scoring fast paced game.
- Will Wyoming be able to dominate the boards and grab those missed shots. Brian Gibson had a nice debut on Saturday, hope he can grab even more rebounds.
- Arthur Bouedo has been starting at SG but hasn't posted amazing numbers. Can he step up his game to keep the starting spot?