After seeing the team compete in the first scrimmage the football staff was able to create the first new depth chart since December. The Pokes still have another two scrimmages left this spring and then the depth chart may shuffle again. Now we can see who has made an impact so far this spring and moved up at their position.
Here is the full PDF of the depth chart.
Injured players are listed at the bottom of the depth chart, so don't freak out to see Brett Smith listed as the #3 QB. This depth chart is based on roster of active and healthy players.
Here are a few highlights that we noted.
- Brandon Miller is the #1 RB and is followed by Kody Sutton and Tedder Easton. Easton got the most reps in the first scrimmage. None of the running backs had a great performance in week one. We will certainly watch them closely in tommorow's scrimmage.
- Eric Nzeocha is listed a starter at WR right now with Chris McNeill out. Great progress for the young German.
- TE T.J. Smith is not listed on the depth chart. He is still listed on the roster. After playing a significant role in the second half of the 2010 season we've seen diminished playing time for Smith.
- Washington sophomores making impact on the right side of the offensive line. Daniel Fleischman is healthy and is listed as the starting right tackle. Travis Brogard is holding down the starting guard spot. Fleischman will battle with Kyle Magunson when the senior is healthy.
- Kenny Browder is listed ahead of Luke Anderson at free safety. The two seniors from Texas could be on the field at the same time as Tormey has used a 3-3-5 scheme multiple times.
- Mark Nzeocha is the starting strong safety with Luke Ruff out. At 6-3 220lbs Nzeocha presents a dangerous player in the secondary. His learning curve will determine how much playing time he will see.
- J.J. Quinlan is the starting MLB with Oliver Schober injured. Quinlan has made a number of nice plays this spring and I am very excited for the depth at this position this year. He and Schober are very hard hitters.
- Ben Durbin seems to be doing well in his move to defensive end and is the #1 left end. Coming off the edge seems to work better for the 6-3 272lb senior who used to play defensive tackle.
- Sonny Puletasi is holding the #1 right end spot with highly rated redshirt freshmen Eddie Yarbrough listed as second.
- Junior defensive end Mark Willis is not listed on the depth. His name was shown in the first spring scrimmage though he didn't record any stats. Willis has been a backup at defensive end the last two seasons.
- Kurt Taufa'asua is the starting right defensive tackle. He had a huge game in the first scrimmage. Former starter Patrick Mertens is second on the depth chart.
- Daniel Sullivan and Tim Gleeson are your respective starters at kicker and punter. No big surpise there. Stuart Williams is the backup at both positions.
- Kickoff returners are Trey Norman and Dominic Rufran. Punt returners are Blair Burns and Rufran.
The second spring scrimmage takes place at War Memorial Stadium on Wednesday April 11th. We will post up the results after it is completed.