National Signing Day is finally here for college football fans. After a crazy couple of months we will finally know which players will end up in the Brown and Gold. Stay tuned to Cowboy Altitude all day as we will have updates throughout the day and a live chat starting at 10am MST.
Here is a break down of the projected 2012 recruiting class. We've included their "star" rating if they have been graded by Rivals, Scout or ESPN. Just because a player doesn't have a rating yet or has a low star rating doesn't mean they aren't a good recruit. There are thousands of athletes out there and the services simply can't rate every single athlete by signing day. Right now we have a list of 22 recruits that will sign with Wyoming. There could be another named added to the list or someone could end up elsewhere.
SIGNED - Enrolled already this semester
PLAYERS SIGNING TODAY - OFFENSE
- QB Jason Thompson, 6-3, 195, Renton, WA (Kennedy HS) - Two Stars
QB Tommy Thornton, 6-1, 210, Tempe, AZ (Macros De Niza HS) - Two Stars
- WR Trent Sewell, 6-2, 205, Bothell, WA (Bothell HS) - Three Stars
WR Nico Brown, 6-2, 190, Leander, TX (Leander HS) - Two Stars
- RB Shawn Wick, 5-11, 190, Ventura, CA (St. Bonaventure HS) - Two Stars
- RB D.J. May, 5-11, 190, Federal Way, WA (Federal Way HS) - Two Stars
OL Chase Roullier, 6-4, 290, Burnsville, MN (Burnsville HS) - Two Stars
- OL Jacob English, 6-6, 240, Beloit, KS (Beloit HS) - Two Stars
OL Nathan Leddige, 6-6, 285, Beaverton, OR (Southridge HS) - NA
- OL Walker Madden, 6-9, 270, Yucca Valley, CA (College of the Desert) - NA
The standout player on the offensive group has to be WR Trent Sewell. He is certainly a great talent and it is surprising he didn't end up at a PAC 12 school. I'd be shocked if Sewell doesn't end up starting as a true freshmen for the Cowboys. The two JUCO linemen Madden and Rains add great size and should be in the mix for playing time right away. With the two QB's and RB's the Cowboys added some quality depth that may not be forced to play right away. QB Jason Thompson originally committed to Washington where was set to play safety. His heart told him was a quarterback and Wyoming gave him that opportunity. Thompson and Tommy Thornton add nice depth with the loss of Adam Pittser. The Cowboys now have four QB's on the depth chart.
With Alvester Alexander turning pro the Cowboys needed another back or two. DJ May and Shaun Wick are quality all purpose backs. Wick can also play safety as well. The Cowboys added some great depth and offense line with this class. Wyoming may still add another wide receiver to this group.
PLAYERS SIGNING TODAY - DEFENSE
- DT Chase Appleby, 6-0, 270, Frisco, TX (Centennial HS) - Two Stars
- DT Uso Olive, 6-1, 293, Federal Way, WA (Federal Way HS) - Two Stars
- DE Sam Awrabi, 6-3, 240, Clovis, CA (Clovis East HS) - Three Stars
- DE Justin Bernthaler, 6-3, 240, Stuttgart, Germany (Fullerton College) - Three Stars
- DE Sam Hardy, 6-3, 270, West Hills, CA (Chaminade HS) - NA
- LB Siaosi Hala’api’api, 6-2, 220, Honolulu, HI (Kaimuki HS) - NA
- LB Lucas Wacha, 6-2, 200, Texarkana, TX (Pleasant Grove HS) - One Star
- CB Damian Greene, 5-9, 175, Sammamish, WA (Skyline HS) - NA
- CB - Dylan Muscat, 6-0, 175,Santa Monica, CA (Santa Monica HS) - Two Stars
GRAYSHIRTS (WILL SIGN IN 2013)
- DT Austin Tixier, 6-3, 242, Arlington Heights, IL (Prospect HS) - NA
The Cowboys did a tremendous job of recruiting defensive linemen with this class. They have a huge group of senior linemen in 2012 and now there will be plenty of talent ready to take over. Defensive ends Sam Awrabi and Justin Bernthaler are both three star recruits. Bernthaler is a JUCO player and may be ready to play right away. The Cowboys picked up an incredibly strong defensive tackle in Uso Olive. Overall the size, depth and talent of the defensive line group are exactly what the Cowboys needed.
Siaosi Hala’api’api and Lucas Wacha are both outside linebackers. The Cowboys lost a couple of three star defensive back commits over the last two weeks. Damian Green is very speedy and really emerged at the end of his senior season. Dylan Muscat's name just popped up on the recruiting radar recently and he is deciding between Wyoming and Penn.
The couple things that are missing from this defensive group are a true middle linebacker and safety. There are still a couple open spots, so we may see another name added to this list. Tixier will take a few classes this fall but won't enroll full-time until 2013. He will actually be apart of that recruiting class and that is when his eligibility will start.