As this is posted up Wyoming has begun their 2013 spring football season. At 8:30 AM the first official practice started and there will be a total of fifteen that finishes up with the spring game on April 27th. After a 4-8 record in 2012 there will be plenty of areas that will need improvement. There are also several new coaches who will finally get their first opportunity to really work with the players.
Wyoming has added four new coaches to its 2013 coaching staff. Former Idaho offensive coordinator Jason Gesser has been hired as Wyoming's new quarterbacks coach. Jamar Cain will coach the Wyoming defensive line. He comes to Wyoming from Cal Poly where he also coached the defensive line. Two Cowboy graduate assistants from last year have been elevated to full-time positions. Former Denver Bronco Renaldo Hill, who was a graduate assistant last season at UW, will now coach the Cowboy cornerbacks. Nick Danielson, who was an offensive graduate assistant for Wyoming in 2012, will coach the Cowboy tight ends in 2013.
In a fresh new twist the public and media are invited to attend all of their practices and scrimmages. Previously only the first 30 minutes were open to the media.
Let's do some quick housekeeping on the roster.
Players Who Will Out Or Limited Due To Injury:
Miller was the one player we knew would miss all of spring practice. The Cowboys don't usually put players on here unless they will miss a big chunk of time. I wouldn't expect to see any of these players in scrimmages.
Players Changing Positions:
- Nehemie Kankolongo - Switches from running back to linebacker.
- Mark Nzeocha - Athletic freak moves back to linebacker after a year at safety.
- Zaquoya Parham - Moves from running back to cornerback.
Players Not Returning:
- Todd Knight - Senior LB graduated in December.
- Zach Ewan - Starting LS didn't come back second semester.
- Shayne Kelley - Decided not to return. Third string OG last year.
Mark Willis - Senior DE who will graduate in May. Shout out to the OPRF Huskie!
Daniel Sullivan - Kicker who had a medical issue last summer that caused him to redshirt 2012 season. He went home this semester to try and get healthier and feels much better when he is not at elevation. Wish him the best and hope there are no further medical complications that happen.
OFFENSE - THREE QUESTIONS
- Will the offensive line find some quality replacements? Nick Carlson, Josh Leonard and Kyle Magnuson are all gone and the depth is unproven.
- Are there enough passes to go around for all the talent at wide receiver? This is a good problem to have.
- How will things work with Christensen calling the plays? Can he handle those duties and well as the rest of his responsibilities as head coach?
DEFENSE - THREE Questions
- Will the junior college players make an instant impact? Wyoming went all-in recruiting the JUCO's this year in order to shore up their defense.
- Can Wyoming fix their run defense? The last two years have been ugly.
- Will Tormey show improvement in year two? He'd better or else there will be an angry mob with pitchforks outside his door.
Over the next month we look forward to having answers to these questions. Not everything will be solved but there is plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball.
Here is the full spring schedule. Scrimmages are highlighted.
Tuesday, March 26 8:30 a.m. (Non-contact, Practice #1)
Wednesday, March 27 8:30 a.m. (Non-contact, Practice #2)
Monday, April 1 8:30 a.m. (Shoulder Pads, Practice #3)
Wednesday, April 3 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads, Practice #4)
Friday, April 5 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads / 50% of Practice Will be a Scrimmage, Practice #5)
Monday, April 8 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads, Practice #6)
Wednesday, April 10 8:30 a.m. (Scrimmage #1, Practice #7)
Friday, April 12 8:30 a.m. (Non-contact, Practice #8)
Monday, April 15 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads, Practice #9)
Wednesday, April 17 8:30 a.m. (Scrimmage #2, Practice #10)
Friday, April 19 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads, Practice #11 / Coaches' Clinic)
Monday, April 22 8:30 a.m. (Full Pads, Practice #12)
Wednesday, April 24 8:30 a.m. (Shoulder Pads, Practice #13)
Friday, April 26 8:30 a.m. (Non-contact, Practice #14)
Saturday, April 27 2:00 p.m. (Spring Game, Practice, #15